Hawkesbury River is known as an unsung gem and is a must-see experience for anyone looking to get back to nature. With its rich bushland, vast waterways, renowned local seafood and various natural attractions, it’s the perfect place for fishermen, boaties, couples and families alike.
Ideas for a day trip to the Hawkesbury River:
1. First and foremost, pick up a tray of delicious fresh oysters from Hawkesbury River Oyster Shed!
2. Hire a boat from Brooklyn Marina. You can hire a family boat for 6 to 10 people which come with sun covers, esky, comfortable seating and make for a great day on the water. The best part is, no boat license is required!
3. Catch a ferry from Brooklyn Marina to Dangar Island. Dangar Island is a charming, traffic free, natural hideaway on the Hawkesbury River, rich in European and Indigenous history. It’s also a well-known fishing spot!
4. Join Australia’s oldest and last-remaining river postman on a scenic postal run from Dangar Island upstream to Spencer. The boat, leaving from Brooklyn public wharf, passes steep escarpments and wild bushland, stopping along the way to deliver mail to scattered houses that have no road access. If you leave in the morning, the 3-hour trip should see you return to Brooklyn just in time for a seafood lunch!
5. Hire some kayaks from Hawkesbury River Kayaks and explore Dangar Island or the family-friendly Gunya Beach.
6. If you’re up for a hike, head to Mooney Mooney nature walk. The walk passes through rainforest, woodlands and casuarina forests and offers plenty of lookouts and birdwatching opportunities. You may even spot a koala or two!
Why not spend the night?
1. To truly relax and immerse yourself in the beauty of the Hawkesbury River, why not hire a houseboat? There are plenty of houseboats available for hire that can sleep from 2 to 14 people.
2. If you’d prefer something land-based, there are a variety of riverside accommodation options available such as one of several unique accommodation options listed on Airbnb.